Friday, April 16, 2010

Coral Coast

I had been getting on and off the Greyhound for five days by the time I arrived in Coral Bay and had met some very nice people already. My French friend Stephane who was on month nine of his year long around the world trip and two German women, Andrea and Stefanie, who were taking time off work to travel for three and six months respectively. We met three more French people and one Swiss at our hostel that we hung out with as well. It was nice to have so many people to lie out on the beach and snorkel with, in addition to eating meals together.


The soft white sand and crystal blue waters were quite similar to Monkey Mia, but Coral Bay was so much larger. The beach went on for miles and was extremely wide during low tide (which this picture does not show).


Just past this rock was the best spot for snorkeling.

I taught the French boys Patrick, Stephane, and Benjamin how to play beer pong. I obviously won-- after all, what kind of American would I be if I didn't dominate in drinking games?

A few days later, Stephane and I both headed to Exmouth for Easter weekend. There isn't a whole lot to do in Exmouth (this tends to be the case in many west coast towns) if you aren't into scuba diving. Lucky for me, I am. Now, I hadn't been diving in four months and I was a little bit nervous my scuba skills would be rusty, but as it turns out diving is a lot like riding a bike, once you know how to do it you never really forget! I did two days of diving, with two boat dives each day. The first day we went to Cod Spot and Whalebone, just off the coast of the Muiron Islands. On the first dive I went down 17M (55 ft) which is the deepest I've been to date. The second day were both reef dives at Lighthouse Bay. I saw a lot of blue spotted rays, a sea turtle, an eel, a puffer fish, lots of crabs, etc... In addition to the great dives, I met some very nice people on board. I really liked my instructor Vicki, she was only 19 years old, originally from England, and had been a scuba instructor for a year Thailand before moving to Exmouth in March. I also met three Americans, which never happens! One woman originally from LA who has been working in Sydney the past two years and a couple who relocated to Perth a few months ago.

On Easter Sunday it was Stephane's birthday, so I took him out to dinner to celebrate. The next day, I was sad to leave because I was heading off to Broome by myself and Stephane was flying to Bali. I am very happy I met him; I had fun teaching him American expressions, practicing my French, talking about anything and everything, and just having someone to eat meals with and go to the beach. I was worried about doing the west coast by myself and by the Greyhound instead of an organized tour, so it was definitely a pleasant surprise to meet nice people along the way.

Exmouth Harbor

On board the Pro Dive boat.

Muiron Islands

No comments:

Post a Comment