Friday, April 9, 2010

The Pinnacles

After three days in Margaret River, I was ready to move on. Kelly and Jen had decided they wanted another day in Margs (as the Aussies affectionately call it) and a few in Scarborough, another beach town outside of Perth, before looking for work half way up the coast in a town called Carnarvon. So sadly, we parted ways. I had made a booking on the Greyhound and my first stop was Cervantes, home to the Pinnacles Desert. Cervantes has a population of 503 (smaller than my high school graduating class) so these famous limestone structures are really all the town has going for them. A sane person would only stay in Cervantes for one night, but because of the greyhound schedule (or lack there of) I stayed for three. There was one hostel, a post office, a news agency, two restaurants, and one bottle shop. Exciting, eh? As you can imagine, there weren’t many people staying at my hostel the weekend I was there, so I had a room to myself, a real treat for a backpacker! It was here I started my new career as a professional beach bum. I spent all three days on the beach and also did a sunset tour of the Pinnacles.


It is extremely windy on the west coast at this time of the year, so many people come out here to kite and wind surf.

The Turquoise Coast

I was the only person on this sunset tour. The guide was incredibly informative and to be honest I couldn’t follow most of what he told me. I do know that these natural limestone structures were created from ancient shells.





As you can tell, it was quite cloudy that night. My guide was pretty amusing when he told me, “I can’t guarantee the quality of the sunset but if it doesn’t set at all I’ll give you a full refund.”


No comments:

Post a Comment