Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Northern Territory

After three days of lounging around by the pool in Darwin the capitol of Northern Territory, I decided to be a bit more active and go on a two day, one night camping tour of Australia's largest national park, Kakadu. The first day we spent with Aboriginals learning about their history and culture. We learned about the different plants and animals they eat, how to play a didgerido, how to basket weave, and how to spear hunt. Even though Aboriginals have a strong presence in the west and north, I still felt as though I hadn't learned anything about their culture, so I really enjoyed this opportunity. The next part of the day was spent in Ubirr, a part of the park known for it's many rock paintings dedicated to mimi spirits, or Creation Ancestors. When we got to our campsite, I realized we were "glamping" (glamourus camping) not camping... we had a full kitchen and were staying in tents that were big enough to fit two bunk beds in them each. At first I was disappointed, but when it rained all night long I was happy to be sleeping in a bed and not on the ground. The next day we went to two different waterholes to go swimming. You aren't advised to swim in the ocean here because you may become a crocodile's next meal, so instead all the tour companies take you to safe waterholes to cool off in the scorching heat and humidty. I was hoping we would see Jim Jim and Twin Falls, the two most famous and photographed waterfalls in Kakadu, unfortunately these spots don't open until late June.

Didgeridos are made by termites and only men are allowed to play them. If a woman plays a didgerido she will be cursed with many children.

A short video of two Aboriginal men playing traditional music.

Kakadu National Park



Motor Car Falls.



The next day, I went on a tour of Litchfield National Park with a different tour company. I had the most wondeful day. We started out with a croc cruise on the Adelaide River. We saw about five different crocodiles! Not only did we spot them, my amazing tour guide was making them jump by holding delicious raw meat over their heads. I couldn't believe how close these ferocious animals were to me; it was insanely awesome. Next we went to Florence Falls to have lunch and after that to Bluey Rockhole and Wangi Falls, both beautiful swimming holes in the park. The best part of the day, besides the beautiful scenery, was meeting the nicest Australian family from Perth. I was getting a bit lonely after spending the week by myself in Darwin and I felt as though they adopted me for the day. I've kept in touch with them and they've offered to put me up if I ever make it over to Perth again... I may just have to take them up on the offer some day!

Nero, the king of the jungle. I believe he was around eight feet long.


A young lady croc jumping for her morning snack.

Florence Falls, which are apparently known for their fertility powers. While Nicole Kidman was filming the movie Australia she swam in them... a few months later she was pregnant with her daughter Sunday Rose. Coincedence? I think not.

Enjoying one of the swimming holes with my new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment